Friday 26 October 2012

Pumpkin Bread Recipe

I love me my quick breads. Banana bread was a staple in my kitchen (before I started the Dukan diet...I am pretty sure the persistence of the bread and the start of the diet were directly correlated;).

Now that I am in the stabalization phase of the diet - life is fabulous. I am back to baking and enjoying the things I was temporarily off during the attack, cruise and consolidation phases. And now I am back on those things with new healthier cooking tricks up my apron sleeve!

As I recently bought some adorable little pumpkins from the market, I wanted to make something baked that was warm and comforting - and not just your standard pumpkin default dessert - the good 'ol pumpkin pie.

I pulled out my old banana bread recipe and thought about trying to swap the banana content with pumpkin puree and it turned out marvelously, if I do say so myself.

I just thought of a new term: 'Marthalously'. So - this recipe turned out Marthalously.

                                * I promise this is the last time I use my camera phone as a camera...

What You'll Need:

What You'll Need to Do:
  • Pre-heat your oven to 350 (175F)
  • Grease then flour your loaf pan
  • In a large bowl, mix together your pumpkin puree, egg, oil, water and sugars until smooth
  • In a separate bowl, mix together your flour, baking soda, salt, and spices
  • Pour the wet mixture into the dry, stirring slowly and allowing some 'lumps' to remain - you don't want this mixture too smooth
  • Pour evenly into your prepared loaf pan
  • Bake for about 45 -55 minutes
  • The loaf is done when you can stick a toothpick in and it comes out clean
  • Let cool then serve. Or just keep it your little secret and don't share a bite of it.

I think this bread is excellent on its own, but if you wanted to fancy it up - or plan on bringing this to a brunch/party - top each slice with a dollop of cinnamon-spiced vanilla whipped cream.

How do you make that, you ask...and now for today's bonus recipe:

Well, take your medium-sized carton of fresh whipping cream, add in 1/3 cup of sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon and 1 tsp vanilla - beat until peaked and enjoy.

You could also turn this loaf into muffins - use tin liners and reduce cooking time to just 20 minutes. 

The STEWART SCORE: It is a 'good thing'
Appearance: 2
Taste: 2
Ease: 2

No comments:

Post a Comment